Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Sex Assault Message Hits Urinals

This post is a little crude, I guess. So you've been warned. Fortunately, I think I lost any younger readers back when I first wrote the word "metaphysical."

(AP) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. Indiana University is taking a message to prevent sexual assault to an unusual place—men’s restrooms. Members of Raising Awareness of Interactions in Sexual Encounters, or RAISE, have placed 600 red drain guards in urinals in Indiana dorm rooms with a message urging students to stop sexual assault.

(Sex Assault Message Hits Urinals, CBS)

Doing that will give some drunk guy pause, he will probably see it and then think, "Huh, well I was going to try to take advantage of the girl I'm with...but now, now this message that I'm peeing on right now, it's really makin' me think man!"

I've seen these sorts of messages in the same place saying don't do drugs. It seems to me it would be more effective if the urinal was hooked into a drug testing system that would lock the bathroom doors and call the police if it went off. That would be something. The don't do drugs message changes color, an alarm goes off and then, "Hey, what the...?!"

But I shouldn't give the ones who want to keep us all safely safe any ideas.

This is probably a better idea, as far as sexual assault:

A controversial device, which its inventor claims clamps itself to a rapist's penis forcing him to seek medical treatment and be revealed to the police, will be launched by a South African woman on Wednesday.

The "Rapex" device is inserted into the vagina by a woman who feels she is at risk of rape, and if she is attacked, small burr-like teeth will attach themselves... explained inventor Sonette Ehlers.

...it is only possible to remove the device by surgery, Ehlers said ahead of a launch and demonstration at Kleinmond near Cape Town.
(IoL)

Alright, I'll end this post now before it gets any worse.

No comments: